Lets forget the negatives.
Site
Best viewed in IE.
Image X
Brushes X | X
Hosted X | X | X
Designer X | X

Madame
Bernard Tan :)
Coz sign: Dancer!!
30 Nov

Loves: Kayaking,Coaching,Tea kwon do,Gundam
Dislikes: impatient pple,liars,not straight forward

Memoires

July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
December 2007
February 2008

Plugs
  • *rebecca*
  • *Pearle*
  • *Sihui*
  • *Jessica*
  • *Tristan Teo*
  • *Choo yan*
  • *Whitney mei*
  • *weiling*
  • *Audrina mei*
  • *Shuqi*
  • *Mei-Ting (SKY NPCC)*
  • *Ying-Shan(Sky Guides)*
  • *Yu_Ting(Sky Guides)*
  • *Charmaine(Sky Guides)*
  • *Lijia(Sky Guides)*
  • *gayatri (Sky Red Cross)*
  • *theresa*
  • *Hui-Lan*
  • *Yvoone NP friend*
  • *Veron MSN friend*
  • *Evania SAC*
  • *Nufila-mei*
  • *meiying-AJC*
  • *Liling-RP*
  • *Sam-Teakwondo friend*
  • *Eileen-Teakwondo friend*
  • *Weiwen-AI kayaking student*
  • *Feon-AI kayaking student*

    Talk


  • Monday, June 26, 2006
    @6:53 PM

    24 june 06, Sat
    ---------------

    1 Star Kayaking Awards
    -------------------------
    Morning reached club at 0920. Saw Meng Teck who was too busy to entertain anyone and Charles who was sitting on the deck, relaxing.

    I went to check the board to make sure that I was taking the correct course and I found out that I would be teaching with Charles and WangJie. I was the main coach of the course so mengteck instructed me to let charles and wangjie handle it. But he wants wang jie to be more involved because he is going to take his coaching assessment soon.

    When discussing with wang jie, I asked him to do the opening and equipment theory. He gave me an unconfident face. But I told him it is ok, everyone needs to go through this and to treat it as an experience.

    After a while, the students arrived and I gathered them at the open classroom. After marking attendance, Charles started the club orientation and then wang jie did his kayak equipment theory.

    Wangjie tried his best to do the theory but he wasn’t very confident.. Actually at his level now, he is considered not bad already. After that I read out the parts of equipment and how to handle things safely. The participants cheered up and understood what I was explaining. Charles and I demonstrated the method of carrying the kayak while wangjie explained our moves.

    After everything, we asked the student to collect the buoyancy vests and paddle. Then we brought them to the kayak rack. Charles then instructed them to carry the 6 kayaks and paddles to the beach. All of the kayaks were already on the floor so it was much easier for them. Before that, I showed them how to empty water from the kayak.

    We reached the beach, place down the kayaks and gathered them in front of charles who then briefed them about the change beach area and safety in the sea. Then we teached them how to Embark and disembark from the kayak, how to come ashore, a capsize drill and how to empty water. Wangjie was the demonstrator.

    After everything, we did capsize drills in our 3 groups. My group had 5 people. 3 adults and 2 sec 1s. One of the sec 1 student very small in size. At first everyone was not confident in doing it but I explained to them that the can . But the small sized guy did not give me much worry because he could eject out without any problem.

    Before we went for lunch, Charles instructed the participants to carry the kayaks back to the club.

    After lunch, we asked them to carry the kayak out to the creek where charles taught them how to hold the paddle properly and dry forward and backward paddling.

    One of the students was confused so I brought her out to re-coach her and when she went in to the water later, she was able to do it.

    After the dry paddling, we brought them down one by one to the creek. Wangjie went to the boats there to form a raft. The students tried their best to paddle to the destination but some just cannot, they kept going round and round. They took about 9 mins to form the raft.

    Charies Coached them
    ----------------------
    Refined the forward and backward stroke.

    Me coached them
    ------------------
    Forward n backward sweep on the move

    Spot turn = Combination of Foward and backward sweep.

    Wan jie coached them
    ----------------------
    J stroke and classics draw

    ---------------------------------

    The students were not used to kayaking so some of them capsized. I rescued people twice today.

    Times up, we asked the students to disembark and to bring the kayaks back to the club. We only asked them to wash the paddle and vests only and to leave the kayaks for the next day. We gave them a debrief and then dismissed them.

    After our bath, we trainers had a debrief. I discovered that wangjie was not sure on how to plan and organize a course which was what made him unconfident. Mengteck asked us into the office. I learnt a few tips on how to conduct 1 star from him too. He praised me that my coaching had improve. I’ll do better for the next course.

    Hope i can clear my L2 coaching. =(

    After that me met kayaking kakis went to city, walk walk and watched show.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    25 June (Final day of one star)
    --------------------------------

    Morning was late , due to heavy rain and traffic jam. I was got stuck at compass pt, so got no choice need to took a cab down to club. On my way, I recieved a call frm wangjie. He informed me tat the participants all arrived le. I was like oh shit! We asked them to arrived 0930, some of them arrived like 0915. At that time, Charies still on his way. I informed Wangjie to asked the participants to mark the attandance 1st and wait for either one of us to arrived.

    I arrived club abt 0945, I saw Charies organised the grp and get ready for lesson. I faster went to changed and asked charies carry on the lesson 1st

    After I changed. Charies at open class rm conducted the thoery lesson abt how to rescue. We cant go down to water, cos rain is very heavy. So after that, we go tru and refine the student all the stroke that we tok them yesterday. And the rain was last abt 1 hrs.

    When the rain stop, we brought the student down to the creek. Charies was go tru Deep sea entry. After the student praticed the deep sea entry, we demo the X rescues. Charies explaned the whole X rescues. Then we ask the student went out to formed raft.

    Charies was arranged them into 3 grps, each grp got they're own num. Then the student paddled to the own respective grp, the student took turns to be an Asst, rescuer and victim. After the rescues we debrief the student, is all the quite comment mixtake. (Rescuing management). Yeah I purposily asked wangjie to give debrief just to trained his confident level.

    It last until almost lunch time. We asked the student to beach up and load the kayak into the trory at the same time.

    After lunch, we brought the student to the beach front. Just to let the student test up on they're flat water skills. And finished the reminder skills

    Stern rudder and Low recovery.

    For stern rudder
    ----------------
    We coached them, guiding and steering.

    For low recovery
    -----------------
    use the blade support the water

    Then lean adging.

    After that, we asked them draft up and asked wangjie to demo 2 n 3star skills.

    But wangjie he not confident in 3star skills, so i took over.

    intro of 2star frm Wangjie
    ------------------------
    Sculling Draw

    Low brace turn
    -------------------------------

    intro of 3star frm me
    -------------------
    Basic stroke with adging

    High and low recovery on the move

    Hanging draw

    3 time continuous Eskimo roll

    1 x Hand roll (Requested by charies! lol!)

    Almost 3.30pm, we asked the participants to beach up and relax. Abt 4pm, I asked wanjie to asked the student, brought the trory to the beach. And I'm at the beach to look after the participants. When the trory arrived the beach, I shared with wangjie the best place to put the trory. Charies was enjoyed himself outside the water, doing his eskimo roll.

    Abt 4.05pm, I asked Wangjie, to guide participant to load the kayak onto the trory. And push the trory back to club. When we arrived the club, the 2star were still washed the kayak. So charies asked the participants to washed the equipment 1st. Followed by i shared with the participants how to wash the kayak with single man method.

    After washed the kayak, we ask the participants to bath we collect the cert and signed for them. When the student arrived the open class rm. After I debrief them and we asked wang jie to passed the cert while i read the name.

    After the cert presentation. Charies was add on the debrief, I would said he has give the good debrief tat i ever show in my coaching life.

    Charies Debrief on club operating hours and rental procedures, he asked the participants to comments on our coaching, which so long i nver see we trainer do that already.

    The participants comments on

    Charies is fierce but can explan very well

    Me: Demanding, particular on every single stroke, explan a bit fast. Can demo very good and clear on every stroke. Also fierce but kind.

    Wangjie: A bit quiet, but very friendly.

    Abt 3 of us, they comment us very patient to them.

    After we dismissed them, we trainer help to washed the double kayak and equipment, returned frm Pasir ris. We were work together as a team (Really a team)

    Finally saw teresa signed the 2star cert for participant, I wana when will be my turn? But i knew will be soon. Patience is good well for every one of us. So just wait. And I will! =)

    Yeap after all things is abt 7++ le, I was followed JIAYI, Jingsin, Ivy to changi v for dinner and take bus 89 together. Finally they got to ask me abt the 3star skills. Guess i'm slowlly change to a likable person to them ba.

    Yap... hope for the better in future.

    Conclusion
    -----------
    I find that charies is a nice and workable person, Tru once a while he like to show a bit of 1 man show. Well got to know him more, is a good start. Should be no prob ba.

    Wangjie.. haha.. Shy shy de. Can be improved, he remind me of Jiahui 1st time coaching attachment. yeah coaching time will change him better.

    Jia ya!! =)
    ------------------------------------------
    Frm: Dancer

    Merci poure, le triste